Painting My Mask P1

Discussion in 'Predator Costumes' started by agh12, Dec 2, 2013.

1. agh12

agh12 Young Blood

I bought acrylic paints, gloss medium and  gloss varnish, I have a question With This last two, because i do not know Which to use.

use two methods and I'll stick it out with the best.
    1. I will use latex mixed with acrylic paints. I bought the latex is quite liquid, will try to thin it with a little alcohol, or distilled water 50/50 and then add the acrylic.

If This method this does not work, I'll go with the traditional method I learned in the lair: pros-aide and acrylics and then Sealed with glossy medium or gloss varnish

your comments are welcome.

a greeting

122.jpg

2. agh12

agh12 Young Blood

waiting of the air compressor.
    tomorrow or day after tomorrow  I will get the compressor from a friend.
    eager to paint, it is a challenge for me.

3. Predasaurus

Predasaurus Blooded

I haven't airbrushed yet, but I will be for my next predator suit. I will be looking forward to your progress to see how you do! Good luck

Eli

4. agh12

agh12 Young Blood

I tested the first airbrush.
    for be fairly economical, This airbrush loved it.
    I painted on some folios and airbrush can do some pretty fine lines.

but there was a problem, the compressor That have provided me did not have any pressure regulator and moisture filter and airbrush sometimes spits water.

I have two compressors of fridge, boiler of 6 litres , will make a home compressor.
    Already I have ordered a moisture filter and a pressure switch.

the only thing missing is to have patience and wait.

a couple of more days will be delayed.

regards

5. agh12

agh12 Young Blood

I started to paint the mask p1 

I took first liquid latex with a brush on the mask and then paint With the airbrush. 

painting grabs pretty well to latex, but latex flexing are some small cracks. 

done wrong? With This I failed method? Should have more latex mask on? 

painting grabs pretty well to latex but the latex flexing see Those cracks. 

I keep going or should try use more latex in the mask? 

I used a good color basis for the mask? 

any help is welcome. 

regards

20140120_152317.jpg

20140120_152234.jpg

20140120_152214.jpg

20140120_152028.jpg

20140120_152121.jpg

20140120_152151.jpg

6. agh12

agh12 Young Blood

any comments or help?

7. Predasaurus

Predasaurus Blooded

Well I didn't think that latex on top of latex will do anything. For mine, I put pros-aide on top of the mask and it worked great. But I did notice on mine where I put the oil-based paint, it started to crack. But where the acrylic paint was, it was fine. Maybe that is the issue. Hope I could help!

Eli

8. troggs

troggs Hunter

Pros aide will definitely help the paint to stick, also did you give the mask a good wash first to make sure it was clean? If the paint you've put on isn't sticking well, it might be a good idea to get that paint off and start again, good luck.

9. MiamiSett

MiamiSett Young Blood

Wash the mask before painting.  Use Pros-Aide to base coat the mask before painting it.

10. wonko

wonko Hunter

Also, the type of paint you use makes a big difference.  The thing to remember is the paint needs to remain flexible.  Straight acrylic paint applied directly to the mask isn't flexible once dry and won't last.  You also need to remember that the quality of paint makes a big difference as well.  That cheap crap you buy at craft stores is just that... crap.  The only time I've seen regular acrylic paint work was either in a PAX mix, or when it's used to tint latex that is then used for painting.  As a few have already stated, you need something on the latex that the paint will stick to.  I seem to recall seeing somewhere that you purchased Pros-Aide, but could be wrong.  If you did. that needs to be used as the "primer" for the paint to adhere to.  The process I and many others use that is tried and true is:  Apply Pros-Aide, base coat the mask with several light coats of FW ink (or something similar), paint the rest of the mask the way you want, and finally clear coat with a clear, flexible sealer (I use Permawet).  If you apply the paint or inks too heavy, you will start seeing lots of cracking as it dries.  To avoid that, spray in several light coats, allowing each to dry in between.  Like any painting, it's going to take time to dry, so don't try and rush anything.  It's better to take your time and use the proper materials, than rush it with cheap paints and end up with something that you're not proud of.

Brian

11. agh12

agh12 Young Blood

thanks for your comment 

I made ​​another test and I have been happy 

Extendi with a brush on the latex mask (the first time I applied not very good) and wait a few minutes until the latex starts to dry and applied painting with the airbrush but with a larger needle and from more distance, with very thin layers. When the paint dried, I made ​​several moves with mask and paint does not crack as before. Seems better gripping. 

I've been pretty happy, I thought that this method would not be good. 

Will take more pictures of the outcome. 

I will try to buy permawet to seal the mask.

12. agh12

agh12 Young Blood

I have Looked  painting and I'm not convinced. 

ire with pros-aide. Already I have ordered order pros-aide, will sent me in a few days. 

125 ml (4.5 oz) is enough for the mask? 

When repaint the mask, back to paint over or remove paint ?

regards

13. agh12

agh12 Young Blood

14. predatoj

predatoj Blooded

I'm not an expert but I've heard that mixing latex with acrylic paint (or any paint) is a bad idea. Liquid latex yellows as it becomes fully cured and can change the hue of the pigment. For instance it will turn black to dark green. I would do what Wonko and others say and do the pro-saide method.

15. wonko

wonko Hunter

I and most everyone I know who have gone the muscle suit route have mixed acrylic paint into the latex with no problems at all.  Not sure where you got that info, but maybe they meant to tell you not to use latex paint as the ammonia will degrade the latex very quickly.  Go ahead and use acrylics, it won't hurt anything.

Brian 

16. agh12

agh12 Young Blood

I have received liquitex gloss medium varnish.
    Waiting for the pros-aide.

20140206_234500.jpg

17. predatoj

predatoj Blooded

I can't remember where I read it. Maybe it's fine with RD 407.

18. agh12

agh12 Young Blood

After 3 years without publishing anything here since I have had abandoned the project, I return to the load. I have managed to buy an adhesive promoter for latex from the brand createx and according to the manufacturer is specific for latex and the paint does not crack. Who knows something more about this product? regards

LunaticNic likes this.
  19. agh12

agh12 Young Blood

Any experience with this product?

1500301078296-402079354.jpg

Wreav likes this.
  20. Wreav

Wreav Community Staff

That adhesion promoter is gold

agh12 likes this.
  21. agh12

agh12 Young Blood

¿Algún consejo sobre cómo usarlo? ¿Me mezclo el promotor adhesivo con mis pinturas acrílicas? Saludos

22. Wreav

Wreav Community Staff

Base coat the mask with the adhesion promoter.
    You can also premix the adhesion promoter with your liquid acrylic.

agh12 likes this.
  23. agh12

agh12 Young Blood

Thank you very much. What proportion of acrylic paint and adhesive promoter?

Wreav likes this.
  24. Wreav

Wreav Community Staff

You're going to have to do some experimenting with the various ratios, I can't tell you for certain what would work best for you. But you can try 1:5 ratio of adhesion promoter to liquid acrylic paint and see how that works. I believe there are some threads which go on further to explain this.
    I may still have one of steve wangs painting guides on dvd if i have time i'll watch it and see what ratios he uses.

agh12 likes this.
  25. agh12

agh12 Young Blood

okay. Thank you very much for your advice. In a few days I will start to try.