My first Predator Costume

Discussion in 'Predator Costumes' started by Dillonusob, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Thanks Isumobo!! I think what started out as an 80s sci fi obsession has helped me realize that I LOVE doing this!! Learning techniques, making my own techniques and creating illusion. This halloween will be super cool for myself, kids and my neigborhood lol. Especially for the guys my age in the neighborhood. To us 40 year olds, Predator is sci fi action GOLD.I love it so much that I have reached out to local haunted house effects guys, and have been looking to continue, and learn the more advanced and professional techniques in the future. I also learned, that although I can make a convincing Pred(so far) It is not that much cheaper than making a pro one. I read a thread on here about folks looking to get a set up for 400 or so. Aint happening lol, even with 100s of manhours and cheap materials. It is a tough build. Thanks for all the encouragment, and feedback/advice. What a great knowledgable group!! Next steps are gauntlets, backpack and feel and hands. These will be tougher I think...soon I will be having a bud who is a pro photographer come in to do a session. Shoild be some cool pics!!

IMG_4345.JPG

LunaticNic and Jmen like this.
  2. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Also, for those looking to avoid casting dread beads, i found a cheap way to do them. Although the method is a pain as well. I bought pvc electrical conduit from home depot, Scored and carved it with woodworking knives, cut it to size, then used a heat gun to soften the ends, then a round ended handle to push in the softened ends to flare the beads. Then gold paint with a black wash to bring out the details. The dreads are black epdm sponge cord tapered with a rotary sander then flamed, rolledon a hard surface.

3. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Already planning comedy short for this guy. Its gonna be sone knee slapping stuff

LunaticNic likes this.
  4. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Added some little details to armor.

IMG_4354.JPG

IMG_4356.JPG

5. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

Thats what i am talking about! Awesome now. I have no any more questions. Good job.(y)

Dillonusob likes this.
  6. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Hey Guys, curious if anyone has any templates for the gauntlets? Im good on the blades, but looking for templates to do the housings from sintra. I will be able to hack it on my own, but was looking to shut down my brain for a bit and ride on someone elses success Also- anyone know of any decent tutorials on casting latex or silicone hands/feet? I want to make some from sculpts that I will do for a custom fit. Still new at all this, and looking to get some ideas and instruction. Thanks again for the encouraging words and advice. Great group!!!

IMG_4358.JPG

LunaticNic likes this.
  7. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

8. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Thanks for the links! Also, I was curious has anyone ever used bicycle brake cable as a non-motorized means of making the shoulder cannon track left to right with the head? Example- cable attached to bio then routed to cannon mount....anyone? And the results?

9. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

maybe arduino will be better for it? you want to make animatronic cannon rotating with mask?

Dillonusob likes this.
  10. Tatooineboy

Tatooineboy Unblooded

Lookin' good! How bright is the sheen in daylight? A lot of the photos thus far don't have optimal lighting, so it's difficult to tell.

Dillonusob likes this.
  11. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

The sheen is bright, smoothed silicone II caulking. Shiny. Sorry for the mood pics lol. Also, my work srea has crap for lighting anyway. And yeah, I just want to make the cannon rotate, thats about it. I have lasers ready to install for the bio, so I figured to not rig the cannon would be heresy.

Jmen likes this.
  12. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

If you want - i have some materials for arduino and accelerometers. With codes, videos and other. If you really need it, i will share. ;)

Dillonusob likes this.
  13. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

Casting latex is pretty simple. You just use a chip-brush, and brush the latex into the mold in layers (which need to cure before adding another layer). Another way (if it's an ultracal mold) would be to fill it with latex, and to let it sit for 45 minutes, and the pour out the excess latex.

Jmen and Dillonusob like this.
  14. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Thank you Jmen! I may take you up on this offer after I become frustrated with multiple fails on my own ;)

Jmen and LunaticNic like this.
  15. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

awesome, thanks! Will be watching tutorials also.. I may cast half feet to fit over my lift boots.

Jmen and LunaticNic like this.
  16. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

Dillonusob and LunaticNic like this.
  17. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Started on a sintra pack. I decided to deviate from the original P1 pack, as it is fairly beyond my skills with sintra or anything else. Here is the initial piece, far from finished.

IMG_4364.JPG

18. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

I have cut some peices for a plated look going down the curve of the back of the pack, may install those later tonight. After some more details and fitting as well, it will be paint time I do want to modify it a little, as i wanted the inner bottom to curve in a bit more.....

19. Isubomo

Isubomo Hunter

Man, you are on fire! :D

And that above is why the Predatorium is lucky to have new blood like you bro! :D

Looks really good man!

LunaticNic and Dillonusob like this.
  20. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Closer to what I want

IMG_4367.JPG

21. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Thanks man!! Its pretty awesone to have a place to share ideas with like minded folk!!

Isubomo and LunaticNic like this.
  22. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

This sintra pack is a perfect example of measure zero times, then fuck it and cut 1000 times. Ill never be a carpenter lol

23. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Thanks bud!!

24. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

Meant to tell you guys, I found this cannon on treatstock.com, 15 bucks, 3d printed then shipped. Short money for a workable cannon

IMG_4278.JPG

Isubomo and LunaticNic like this.
  25. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Blooded

It does have that funny 3d printed texture, which is not great with paint, but its workable. I may give mine a few more coats to try to smooth the texture a bit.