The Alien prequel is now Prometheus

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Talk' started by Warpaint, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Warpaint

Warpaint
    Expand Collapse
    Hunter

Source: 20th Century Fox January 14, 2011

It appears that the Alien prequel has become something else entirely. Twentieth Century Fox announced today that Ridley Scott will direct Prometheus, described as "an original science fiction epic". Now scheduled for worldwide release on March 9, 2012, the project was originally intended as a prequel to Scott's 1979 original.

Noomi Rapace has also been announced as the first actor to sign on from the project. She will star as a scientist named Elizabeth Shaw opposite other as-of-yet-unnamed talent.

"While 'Alien' was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place," says Scott, "The keen fan will recognize strands of 'Alien's' DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn't be more pleased to have found the singular tale I'd been searching for, and finally return to this genre that's so close to my heart."

"In a world flooded with prequels, sequels and reboots," adds Damon Lindelof, who worked with Scott to rewrite an original draft by Jon Spaihts, "I was incredibly struck by just how original Ridley's vision was for this movie. It's daring, visceral and hopefully, the last thing anyone expects. When I sat in a movie theater as a kid, feet raised off the floor for fear that something might grab my ankles, I never dreamed in my wildest imagination I would one day get to collaborate with the man responsible for it. Working alongside him has been nothing short of a dream come true."

Prometheus is scheduled to hit March 9, 2012

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/artic...ws.php?id=17771

2. BENSIN

BENSIN
    Expand Collapse
    Elite Hunter

Sounds interesting. I wonder what the details are going to be on this.

3. Yarko

Yarko
    Expand Collapse
    Young Blood

I have mixed feelings about this. I have faith in the Ridley Scott / H.R. Giger duo, so I'm eager to see what they can show us. But I wanted to see a new good Alien movie so much...

4. INFERNAL PREDATOR

INFERNAL PREDATOR
    Expand Collapse
    Hunter

okay, we have a new species on our hands most likely

5. Xenohunter55

Xenohunter55
    Expand Collapse
    Hunter

I dont like this! but its Ridley

6. Replica

Replica
    Expand Collapse
    Young Blood

Yeah, i agree. It should be good, given the names associated with it, but the idea of getting Ridley Scott back to do a true prequel is an awesome idea, and im a little disappointed they haven't gone in that direction. Hopefully the quality of the end result changed my mind

7. Usurper

Usurper
    Expand Collapse
    Elder Predator

Boo !!!

Me wants alieeeeeenzzzzz

8. panik33

panik33
    Expand Collapse
    Hunter

So w8 is that saying there won't be aliens in the film but alien like creatures?
    If so
    I agree with Lee
    BOO we want alienzzzz

9. xdmray

xdmray
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran Hunter

sounds like you have to go into this as if it is a completely different movie. if you go in wanting alien/aliens you are going to be disappointed.

10. swift kinfe

swift kinfe
    Expand Collapse
    Hunter

Saw this on AVP galaxy today and still all I can say is damn it.

11. UglyMoFo

UglyMoFo
    Expand Collapse
    Hunter

Wait... what?!

I'm callin' shenanigans on this one! This sucks! *pouts*

12. Scrapps

Scrapps
    Expand Collapse
    Unblooded

I'll probably still go and see it. Yes, kind of disappointed that it isn't an Alien prequel but last I heard, it was completely stalled (because of budget, If I remember correctly) and I'm glad at least something of the genre is coming out. Ridley hasn't disappointed me yet so at the very least, the movie will probably still be good so long as you don't knitpick.

13. hellonearth

hellonearth
    Expand Collapse
    Hunter

with this general description, i'm 50/50. i really doubt ridley would do a knockoff of his own movie so it should be good, but i still wanted an alien prequel dammit.....

14. Darth Pinhead

Darth Pinhead
    Expand Collapse
    Elite Hunter

Booooooooooooooo! Oh, I'm sooooo pisssssssssssed...But, then again, kind of happy. And then, again, PISSSSSSSSSSSSED!

15. INFERNAL PREDATOR

INFERNAL PREDATOR
    Expand Collapse
    Hunter

i have a plan lets blackmail scott and then we hunt him down. Spear him. hang him upside down. skin him. rip out his spine.
    IT's our thing is'nt it?

16. Dracon

Dracon
    Expand Collapse
    Hunter

Wonder if he'll do the something like he did in Alien where he "surprised" the other actors with the birth of the alien and how they didn't really know what was going to happen. Be interesting if he does something along those lines.

17. mortenharket

mortenharket
    Expand Collapse
    Hunter

Hmmmm, not sure how I feel on this one. But I have every faith in Scott & Giger. If it explains the Jockeys and throws some alienesque things in...... then im happy

18. Warpaint

Warpaint
    Expand Collapse
    Hunter

Well, the allegory of stealing fire from the Gods (Prometheus), could have quite a few different meanings and applications similar to the Space Jockey/Xenomorph origins and mythos. "Fire" could be many things; knowledge, technology, science, etc. It still might touch on the Aliens universe, hopefully in the way that the trophy scene from P2 was shown, where just showing a little bit says so much. I have extremely high hopes from the man who gave us Alien and Bladerunner.

19. Darth Pinhead

Darth Pinhead
    Expand Collapse
    Elite Hunter

I guess I'm just hoping that, like morten, that even though it's an original story, it still involves the space jockey, with subtle references to Alien, and allows it to be tied to a future prequal(s)...

20. GordonGekko

GordonGekko
    Expand Collapse
    Unblooded

There's a part of me that feels like maybe Scott never wanted to do an Alien prequel anyway, just using it as bait to get financing/interest in another project he had.

Crappy news in my book. There is also probably a money component in play ( if its original and a Scott concept, he gets all the cash if it's a full on franchise, if it's Alien, the money goes elsewhere)

21. Broken Doll

Broken Doll
    Expand Collapse
    Unblooded

A little thread resurrection. Michael Fassbender (the new Magneto in First Class), gives a little insight into the upcoming project from the actor's perspective. Second video on the page as of this post.

http://www.michael-fassbender-online.net/

22. Legendary Demon

Legendary Demon
    Expand Collapse
    Unblooded

I like the quote in blue, have any knowledge on RevengeMonst.com? i ordered some stuff and i think i got ripped off. Paypal is getting my $ ack so where can i buy some Bio masks/models?

23. CoolleKotten

CoolleKotten
    Expand Collapse
    Elite Hunter

That... has nothing to do with this topic.
    Stay on topic, please.

24. Anonymiss

Anonymiss
    Expand Collapse
    Unblooded

I was so excited to hear this; I am damn ready for a new Ridley Scott scifi epic and I was super worried about the so called alien prequel.

Prequels can easily break a franchise if not done correctly and I didn't feel a need to see an alien one. I love the alien series, its one of my favorites along with star wars but I was seriously concerned they would show the alien's origin or something equally damning for me to please the fans...and there will never been another Ripley for me besides Sigourney Weaver. I always wanted to see what came next when they reached earth but that's another story...

25. Warpaint

Warpaint
    Expand Collapse
    Hunter

I wonder if the "superpower" doing the terraforming is Weyland Yutani - BUILDING BETTER WORLDS